The Dog Tale is reader-supported. We may earn a commission if you buy something through our site; this doesn’t change our recommendations.
Is Just Food For Dogs good? We personally tested several of the brand’s products for this review. Keep reading to see what we liked and how it compares to other fresh dog food brands.
Verdict (if you’re in a hurry): Just Food For Dogs is one of the original fresh dog food brands. Although it doesn’t offer as much of a personalized service as some other options, it does provide more evidence-based research than any other brand, and we liked the variety of proteins available. Our dog loved it, and we think yours would, too.
In this review:
- Just Food For Dogs: At a Glance
- Watch us unbox it
- Our full Just Food For Dogs review
- How does Just Food For Dogs delivery work?
- Menu options
- How much does it cost?
- How does Just Food For Dogs compare to other fresh food brands?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Just Food For Dogs reviews
Just Food For Dogs: At a glance
- Evidence-based formulas: The only fresh brand to be proven healthy through peer-reviewed studies at major universities. Each recipe exceeds the AAFCO minimal standards.
- Team of veterinarians: The only fresh dog food brand with a large, dedicated veterinarian team with board-certified specialists in nutrition, dermatology, and toxicology that carefully formulate each recipe.
- High-quality ingredients: All ingredients are whole, human food—not powders. Restaurant-quality USDA meats and local fresh produce. No preservatives are used.
- Therapeutic and custom diets: In addition to Fresh Frozen and Pantry Fresh food, the team of veterinarians also offers therapeutic and custom diets for dogs with specific health needs.
- Transparency: This is the only fresh brand to cook fresh food in their own open-to-the-public kitchens where you can go and watch them create meals.
- One-time purchase or subscription: You have the option to make a one-time purchase or enroll in their Autoship program to save 35% on your first order and 5% on each subsequent order. You can edit your subscription frequency or cancel it entirely at any time.
- Ship or pickup: You are able to have your order delivered to your door or, if you live near one of their 4 California retail stores or nationwide partner stores, you can have your order waiting for you in the store.
- Guarantee: If you or your dog are not completely satisfied, you can receive a full refund on your purchase.
Watch our unboxing video
- Only whole, human-grade ingredients
- Get 35% off your first order + 5% recurring orders when you subscribe
- Free shipping for subscribers
Just Food For Dogs review: Is it good?
Most pet food on the market is laden with poor-quality ingredients like meat meals, animal byproducts, empty fillers, and synthetic preservatives. To make matters worse, these ingredients are so heavily processed that in their final dry food form, much of the nutritional value has been destroyed.
Just Food For Dogs was created after Shawn Buckley, the company’s founder, learned about these ingredients. He enlisted a team of veterinarians whose main focus is canine nutrition. They created fresh dog food recipes knowing that real food is superior to any other type of dog food. And now they have the proof.
Just Food for Dogs meals improved specific health markers, are 40% more digestible than kibble, and produced 66% less feces than premium kibble.
Just Food For Dogs is the only fresh, whole-food company to commission nutrition and digestibility studies at a major university and then publish the results in a peer-reviewed journal. The results showed that the Just Food for Dogs meals improved specific health markers, are 40% more digestible than kibble, and produced 66% less feces than premium kibble.
What does this mean? It shows that whole, human-grade ingredients contain more bioavailable nutrients. In other words, there’s more nutrition for your dog’s body to absorb and turn into energy and less to pass through as waste. The end result is a healthier dog that is less prone to disease and other health issues.
Just Food For Dogs only uses real, whole-food ingredients (not powders), such as USDA-certified beef, sweet potatoes, and green beans. These ingredients are gently cooked instead of being scorched at high temperatures, in order to retain as much nutrition as possible. The food is then combined and either frozen or sealed in PantryFresh packaging, so there is no need for preservatives.
- Experienced team of experts: All recipes are created by a team of 13 veterinarians and board-certified specialists, including Certified Whole Food Formulators, Toxicologists, Dermatologists, and a veterinarian trained in dentistry and oral surgery. This team teaches and conducts research on canine nutrition at the Western University of Health Sciences College of Veterinary Medicine with the ambitious goal to remain at the forefront of research as it relates to canine nutrition.
- Evidence-based research: Just Food for Dogs’ primary focus is nutrition and quality. Refusing to follow controversial industry practices for testing dog food, the team developed their own extensive year-long feeding trial. They studied each recipe’s effect on blood counts, full organ chemistry, and digestibility using 30 real companion dogs in their own homes. The recipes were proven beneficial for long-term feeding and are balanced to the National Research Council’s standards, which, according to Just Food For Dogs, is the most up-to-date authority on nutritional guidelines.
- Real, whole food: To maximize nutrition bioavailability, real, human-grade food is used to make these nutritious meals. That means you or I could eat it. All meat is USDA-certified, and the ingredients are mixed in a purposeful way to ensure they are nutritionally complete and balanced for a dog’s diet.
- Variety of meal options: There’s a meal for every dog. The team of veterinarians created a variety of protein, fat, and carbohydrate options in their Fresh Frozen and the PantryFresh lines, including some grain- and gluten-free recipes. Additionally, the team has created a line of vet-prescribed food for dogs who have health issues such as dog IBD. The team will even make your dog a custom recipe if needed. They also offer a supplement line to keep healthy dogs healthy and heal sick dogs.
- Discount for subscribing: If you choose to subscribe to regular deliveries, you’ll get free shipping, 35% off your first order, and 5% off all subsequent orders. Subscriptions are charged on a monthly basis and can be canceled at any time.
- More information about sourcing: The company is serious about transparency; you can go observe how the food is being made in their open-to-the-public kitchens. But we’d love more information about how the meat for the recipes was raised, and what those animals were fed. We’d also like transparency on where the “local produce” comes from and whether it’s non-GMO.
- No mix & match: I love to give my dog a variety of flavors and nutrients by changing up his fresh food every few days. But, as of right now, Just Food for Dogs does not allow you to mix various recipes in one shipping box. If you want more than one recipe, you’ll have to purchase a separate box, which might be too much to store for some pet owners.
- Cost: If you are used to paying dry dog food prices, you may have some sticker shock. But remember, you are paying for real, human-grade, pre-prepared food you could eat. It’s basically like providing your dog with a full homemade diet, but with none of the work or risk of nutritional imbalances. When compared to other fresh food brands, Just Food for Dogs is comparable to the less-costly ones, and one of their recipes, Turkey and Whole Wheat Macaroni, may be the cheapest fresh food recipe of all. They claim they’re 30% cheaper than the competition.
- Shipping: If you subscribe, there’s no shipping fee, which is great. But one-time purchases come with a $10 shipping fee.
- Cooking method: We love that Just Food for Dogs cooks the food in their own kitchens with a method that, according to them, preserves as much nutrition as possible. We’re being really picky here just for the sake of comparison, but we’d love the product even more if it was cooked sous vide (i.e. gently cooked in a sealed bag), which locks in nutrition, juices and flavor. This is the process A Pup Above uses. However, this isn’t a major issue, and we wouldn’t write off the product for this reason alone.
How does Just Food For Dogs delivery work?
After entering the Just Food For Dogs website, you immediately have the option to either shop a la carte or click the “Get Started” button, which initiates the Feeding Calculator. This calculator will walk you through your dog’s health issues, caloric needs, and recipe recommendations.
How much to feed your dog
If you’re not well-versed in how many calories of fresh food your dog needs or you have a specific health goal for your dog, like losing weight or minimizing allergies, I’d recommend you use the Feeding Calculator. Don’t worry, you have no obligation to purchase anything by filling in the information.
You’ll be asked to enter detailed information about your dog or puppy, such as the breed, weight, allergies, wellness goals, activity level, and their spayed/neutered status.
The veterinarian-created calculator takes this information into account to determine the number of calories per day your dog needs as well as the specific recipes that may work for them, such as a low-fat or high-protein meal. Entering the information is easy and straightforward, so it won’t take more than a few minutes to complete.
Once you’ve entered all the required information, the calculator provides you with the number of calories your dog needs each day along with a few recommended meals.
Select the meals you prefer and whether you’d like to have them automatically shipped to you on a routine schedule, approximately every 4 to 5 weeks. We recommend the subscription because you get free shipping, save 35% on your first order, and 5% on recurring orders. Plus, you’ll never open the pantry or freezer and discover you’re without food.
If you choose to make a one-time purchase, you’ll have to pay a $10 shipping fee.
Shopping a la carte
If you are familiar with how much to feed your dog per day, you can go right to the “Shop” tab and choose your meal, as well as any other products you’re interested in. If you’re buying Fresh Frozen food, you can choose the small, medium, or large box. Generally, small boxes are for small breeds or those using fresh food as a dry food topper. Large boxes are the best deal per pound and should be enough to feed even the biggest dog breeds.
Even through the shopping tab, you can still sign up for an Autoship subscription to get the 35% discount, free shipping, and to avoid the hassle of restocking.
Delivery vs pick up
Just Food For Dogs will deliver your food shortly after you order it. The food is shipped frozen over dry ice, so it will stay cold even if it spends a couple of days in transit. Once you receive it, you just put tomorrow’s pack in the fridge to defrost and stack the rest in your freezer.
If you need food today, you might be in luck. Just Food For Dogs stocks their food at their own brick and mortar retail kitchens, inside veterinary clinics and hospitals, and at Pet Food Express (California) and Petco locations nationwide. Just select the “Free Local Pickup” option when completing your order online. Unfortunately, you are unable to schedule an Autoship order for local pickup, but they are working on it.
In an effort to be more eco-friendly, the company only ships full boxes, no partial meal plans are offered. Of course, you could always order a smaller box. All packaging is recyclable.
Although Just Food For Dogs doesn’t offer samples to try, they do offer a full refund guarantee. If you aren’t completely satisfied with any of the products—for any reason whatsoever—contact them for a refund.
Just Food For Dogs menu
- Just Food For Dogs Fresh Frozen food
- Just Food For Dogs Pantry Fresh
- Just Food For Dogs Prescription Diet
- Just Food For Dogs supplements
- Just Food For Dogs nutrient blend
- Just Food For Dogs treats
Fresh dog food
Just Food for Dogs has created seven recipes that are made with real, fresh, whole-food ingredients, such as whole chicken, green beans, and spinach. They contain restaurant-quality meats and locally sourced produce that are fit for human consumption, so your dog eats the same high-quality food as you.
If you find choosing one meal difficult, try the Sampler option, which includes seven fresh food options. You can rotate between meals to see which your dog prefers. Or you can simply subscribe to this option and provide all the recipes to your dog long-term. In addition to these regular choices, there are a few limited-time recipes such as Vegetarian, All-Day Breakfast, or Shepherd’s Pie, that come and go off the options list.
- Chicken & White Rice: Chicken Thighs, Long-Grain Enriched White Rice, Enriched, Spinach, Carrots, Apples…
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 8% min, Crude Fat: 3% min, Crude Fiber: 1% max, Moisture: 72% max; 43 calories per ounce
- Beef & Russet Potato: Ground Beef, Beef Liver, Russet Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots…
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 8.5% min, Crude Fat: 7% min, Crude Fiber: 1.5% max, Moisture: 72% max; 44 calories per ounce
- Turkey & Whole Wheat Macaroni: Ground Turkey, Whole Wheat Macaroni, Broccoli, Zucchini, Carrots…
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 10% min, Crude Fat: 4% min, Crude Fiber: 1.0% max, Moisture: 69% max; 49 calories per ounce
- Fish & Sweet Potato: Alaskan Pacific Wild-Caught Cod, Sweet Potatoes, Russet Potatoes, Green Beans, Broccoli…
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 7% min, Crude Fat: 2% min, Crude Fiber: 3.0% max, Moisture: 82% max; 26 calories per ounce
- Lamb & Brown Rice: Ground Lamb, Long-Grain Brown Rice, Spinach, Cauliflower, Carrots…
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 7.5% min, Crude Fat: 5% min, Crude Fiber: 1.5% max, Moisture: 72% max; 42 calories per ounce
- Venison & Squash: Ground Venison, Butternut Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Cranberries…
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 9% min, Crude Fat: 2% min, Crude Fiber: 1.5% max, Moisture: 82% max; 25 calories per ounce
- Large Breed Support: Ground Beef, Long-Grain Brown Rice, Beef Heart, Carrots, Green Beans…
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 9.5% min, Crude Fat: 10% min, Crude Fiber: 1.5% max, Moisture: 65% max; 56 Kcals per ounce
Each recipe is created with a single protein source and many of the recipes contain organ meat, which provides essential nutrients like B vitamins. All recipes are made complete and balanced for maximum nutrition with the help of the Just Food For Dogs nutrient blend.
While all the recipes are nutritious, each has different ingredients and, therefore, unique benefits. Some contain a high protein content, which is great for underweight or active, working dogs. Other recipes are great for dogs who need a low-calorie, low-fat diet. There’s a mix of gluten-free and grain-free recipes, as well as meals for dogs with food allergies or sensitivities to certain proteins.
How it’s prepared
Just Food For Dogs prepares its Fresh Frozen line by hand in its open-to-the-public kitchens. The food is carefully cooked at lower temperatures to preserve nutrition. The meals are then vacuumed-sealed in clear, plastic packaging and frozen so there is no need for unhealthy preservatives.
All you need to do is thaw one pack of food in the refrigerator the day before serving. Food can last in the freezer for up to a year.
Generally, fresh, human-grade food is going to be the healthiest option for your pet. In comparison to kibble, fresh food contains more vitamins and minerals in their natural form. The over-processing of kibble from its raw form into those dry little pellets destroys much of the ingredients’ nutritional value.
This is not insignificant. Proper nutrition can have a profound effect on the health of your pet and likely prevent years of disease, medication, and vet bills down the road.
Just Food For Dogs Pantry Fresh
The Pantry Fresh line of dog food is the perfect combination of all the best stuff: 100% human-edible whole foods with the convenience of shelf-stable, serve-out-of-the-box, Tetra Pak packaging. It’s the same restaurant quality meats, produce, and nutrient blends that are in the Fresh Frozen food, but Pantry Fresh food is cooked at a low temperature under pressure, inside their packaging. This method protects the nutritional value and flavors while cooking, and it removes the need for artificial preservatives.
Just Food For Dogs offers four general recipes as well as six recipes to address specific health issues, which you’ll see in the Prescription Diet section.
- Pantry Fresh Chicken & White Rice: Chicken Breast & Thighs, Enriched Long-Grain White Rice, Spinach, Carrots, Apples…
- Pantry Fresh Turkey & Whole Wheat Macaroni: Ground Turkey, Turkey Liver, Whole Wheat Macaroni, Carrots, Zucchini…
- Pantry Fresh Beef & Russet Potato: Ground Beef, Beef Heart, Russet Potatoes, Carrots, Sweet Potato…
- Pantry Fresh Lamb & Brown Rice: Lamb Heart, Long-Grain Brown Rice, Cauliflower, Carrots, Spinach…
You can store Pantry Fresh meals in your pantry for up to two years, and refrigeration is only necessary once opened. If your dog typically eats a fresh diet, we recommend Pantry Fresh meals during travel or when boarding your dog, since it’s a little easier to transport and serve.
Just Food For Dogs Prescription Diet
The company’s team of veterinary specialists created a line of therapeutic recipes that are precisely formulated to meet the critical nutrition requirements of dogs with complex needs, like kidney or liver issues or IBD. These meals vary in formula, but each contains real, whole-food ingredients.
All the meals are available in both Fresh or PantryFresh forms. Eight of the 12 recipes require a prescription from your veterinarian. If you already have a prescription, you can email it to [email protected] If you don’t, you can add your vet’s information when you set up your account and complete your order.
Other options, such as the Skin & Join Support and Balanced Remedy recipes, don’t require a prescription. In fact, we selected the Balanced Remedy meal as our top pick for the best dog food for IBD and IBS as well as the best dog food for colitis.
- Renal Support Low Protein (Fresh & PantryFresh): Restricted, high-quality, highly digestible protein, restricted phosphorus, controlled levels of electrolytes, low protein. Requires Rx.
- Balanced Remedy (Fresh & PantryFresh): Highly digestible, moderate levels of high-quality protein, low fat, limited ingredients, low residue diet. No Rx necessary.
- Joint & Skin (Fresh & PantryFresh): Highly digestible protein source, novel carbohydrate source, incorporates Joint Care Plus veterinary supplement, high protein. No Rx necessary.
- Critical Care (Fresh & PantryFresh): Highly digestible protein and fat, high caloric density, restricted simple carbohydrates. Requires Rx.
- Hepatic Support Low Fat (Fresh & PantryFresh): Controlled high-quality, highly digestible protein, controlled phosphorus, restricted copper, low fat. Requires Rx.
- Metabolic Support Low Fat (Fresh & PantryFresh): High-quality digestible protein, restricted simple carbohydrates, low fat diet, increased fiber. Requires Rx.
If you need further customization of a meal to meet your dog’s specific health issues, you can reach out to their team who will create a nutritious meal plan just for your dog for a one-time fee of $250. See their website for further information.
Just Food For Dogs supplements
This line of 100% natural supplements was created by the team’s toxicologist and chief medical officer to complement Just Food For Dogs’ whole-food recipes. They are formulated with 100% human-edible ingredients, created in a certified facility, and manufactured under Good Manufacturing Practice guidelines, so your pup gets top-quality nutrition.
Healthy dogs may not need any supplements, but if your pup is dealing with a common health issue, one of these may help.
- Calm: Naturally and safely soothes dogs that are under stress and helps them feel more relaxed and comfortable.
- Skin and Allergy Care: Using olive leaf extract’s antibiotic properties, this formula is proven to help dermatitis and other allergies that can affect a dog’s skin, eyes, ears, and gastrointestinal tract.
- Probiotic Live: Helps maintain a healthy digestive tract, improves absorption of critical nutrients, and fights off potential pathogens.
- Omega Plus Fish Oil: Sourced from pure Icelandic waters, this fish oil promotes healthy skin and a shiny coat. It also boosts the immune system and improves a pet’s joint, heart and brain health.
- Joint Care and Joint Care Plus: Both are made from natural nutraceuticals and are proven to help treat joint issues in senior dogs and help younger dogs avoid complications later in life.
Just Food For Dogs nutrient blends
Just Food For Dogs understands the importance of a high-quality diet, made from fresh, whole-food ingredients. That’s why they share their healthy recipes with pet owners who want to make vet-recommended recipes at home.
Making your dog’s food at home may be cheaper, but it takes work, and you probably won’t be able to hit the precise nutritional balance your dog needs without help. That’s where Just Food For Dogs nutrient blends can help.
The company offers six nutrient blend supplements that ensure your homemade food is complete and balanced and does not lack any essential nutrients. Each unique blend is precisely formulated to complement the enclosed recipe, so there’s no guesswork.
This 100% human-edible nutrient line is designed by their team of specially trained veterinarians for long-term feeding. For simplicity, a shopping list and feeding guidelines geared to your dog’s ideal caloric intake are enclosed.
We are happy to see that even the treats are made with only whole human-edible ingredients. And perhaps just as important is what is NOT in the treats. There are absolutely no: preservatives, additives, byproducts, growth hormones, or artificial coloring. This is what you’d expect from a health-conscious pet food company.
Just Food For Dogs’ treats are made by hand in their own open-to-the-public kitchens, then placed in BPA-free packaging. The Bark treats have a cracker-like texture and can be broken off into smaller pieces, making them ideal for training or small dogs. There are seven healthy dog snacks to choose from:
- Chicken Breast: USDA-certified and approved
- Beef Brisket: High-protein (58%)
- Venison: Venison top round, lean high-protein (76%), BHA and BHT free
- 15/10 Sweet Potato: Dried sweet potato slices; 8% protein. Plus, $1 from every bag sold will be donated to the 15/10 Foundation, which sponsors shelter dogs whose medical needs prevent them from being adopted
Other tasty treats
- Chicken Apple Bark: 35% protein, excellent source of vitamins and fiber
- Beef Liver Bark: 3-ingredients, human-edible liver, 25% protein
- Salmon Bark: 2-ingredients, low-fat, ideal for dogs with fat restrictions, hypoallergenic
- Pumpkin: No animal protein ingredients, low-protein, hypoallergenic
JFFD didn’t want to leave our feline friends behind. Now cats can have the same health benefits of a human-edible, whole-food diet. Currently, there is one meal available, Fish & Chicken, which is made from Alaskan wild-caught cod, Norwegian sardines, and fresh chicken. There is one treat available as well, Salmon Bark Treats.
You can expect the same great Fresh Frozen food, supplemented with essential vitamins and minerals in a formula that your cat will love. The meal is gently cooked by hand to retain the most nutrition and shipped to you frozen. Learn more in our full Just Food For Cats review.
>> Read more: Smalls Cat Food Review
How much does it cost?
When using Just Food for Dogs’ Feeding Calculator, the price per day can go as low as $1.61/day (for a 6-lb. dog), so it may be a great option for health-conscious owners with small pets.
If you’re feeding a large dog, the price will be higher. But you’ll probably also order a larger box each month, which brings down the price per pound. Since feeding large breeds healthy food can be cost-prohibitive, Just Food For Dogs made the Large Breed Support meal more calorically dense so it could be priced more affordably. On this recipe, a 60-lb. Catahoula will cost roughly $6.99 per day, while the Catahoula will cost between $8 and $11 on the other recipes.
To determine a general average amount most people pay per day, we ran a quote for a 3 year old, 30-lb. male Corgi. We were quoted an introductory price of $3.30/day.
When purchasing, you have the option to choose a one-time purchase or an Autoship subscription, which saves you 35% off your first order, 5% off recurring orders, and you get free shipping. If you choose a one-time purchase, you will also need to pay a $10 shipping fee or do a local in-store pickup.
After the introductory discount, the cost will be $168.58/box every five weeks, so the Corgi never runs out of food. This cost breakdown comes to approximately $4.81 per day.
Prices vary greatly depending on the number of calories your dog needs. Additionally, each recipe is priced differently, with the Turkey & Whole Wheat Macaroni meal being the cheapest option. A mid-range recipe, like Beef & Russet Potato, cost $7.09 per day for our Corgi.
The best way for you to determine how much to purchase is to complete the Feeding Calculator. It’ll provide not only your introductory discount price, but also your recurring price. You can get a customized quote for your pet without any purchase commitment. You can also take a look at our guide to Just Food For Dogs prices.
|6-lb. Yorkie male||$1.61–2.13 day / $11.27–14.91 week|
|30-lb. Pembroke Welsh Corgi male||$4.81–7.09 day / $33.72–49.63 week|
|60-lb. Catahoula Cur male||$6.99 per day (Large breed Support meal)|
$8.03–11.07 day / $56.19–77.47 week
If the price is still beyond your means, you can choose to do a 50-50 mix of Just Food for Dogs with a high-quality kibble, such as Sundays Dog Food or Spot & Tango’s UnKibble. This will help stretch the fresh food, while still giving your dog a good amount of quality nutrition.
Is it worth it?
Personally, I’ll increase the amount I’m willing to pay to provide my dog with a high-quality diet as long as it’s within reason. I know if I choose real, healthy food for my dog, it’ll pay off in the future when my dog enjoys a higher quality of life free of most preventable diseases. It should also help prevent expensive vet bills. But, ultimately, the choice is up to you and how you want to balance cost versus quality.
How does Just Food For Dogs compare to other fresh food brands?
Most fresh pet food brands offer similar products and services, but there are subtle differences among them. Here are a few of Just Food For Dog’s unique features worth considering (and a few where others do better, down below):
- Mid-to-low range cost: When comparing the cost of Just Food for Dogs with other fresh food brands, such as Pet Plate or The Farmer’s Dog, Just Food for Dogs is comparably priced, give or take a few variables. In fact, they claim they’re as much as 30% cheaper than Farmer’s Dog, although this depends on which recipe you choose. Some of Just Food for Dogs’ recipes cost more, but their Turkey & Whole Wheat Macaroni meal may be the cheapest option available for fresh food. Just Food For Dogs’ Large Breed Support meal appears to be the best-priced option for large breeds. You can learn more in our Just Food For Dogs vs Farmer’s Dog comparison.
- Many food options: Not many other services offer so many options, including vet prescription diets, supplements, nutrient blends for homemade dog food, treats, fresh frozen food, shelf-stable fresh food, cat food, and even the option to have a customized meal created for your pet’s unique needs. To name some contenders: Nom Nom Dog Food offers a gut microbiome testing kit and supplements. The Farmer’s Dog offers a nutrient blend for home-cooked meals. Open Farm offers wet foods, bone broths, freeze-dried raw food, kibble, and cat food.
- Protein options: JFFD offers seven single-ingredient protein options, including novel proteins, which can help dogs with allergies to common meats. And it’s one of the few (or maybe the only) fresh dog food companies that offer venison as a protein option.
- Large team of vet specialists: Most fresh food meals are made with veterinarians. But JFFD retains an impressive staff of 13 vet specialists, including Certified Whole Food Formulators, Toxicologists, Dermatologists, and a vet residency trained in dentistry and oral surgery.
- Order online and pickup in store: In addition to at-home delivery, you can order online and pick up Just Food for Dogs food at their retail kitchens, inside veterinary clinics and hospitals, and at Pet Food Express (California) and Petco locations nationwide. However, getting the food delivered to your door is the most convenient option, in our opinion.
- Organ meat: Five of the Fresh Frozen recipes contain organ meat, such as liver and gizzards, which are rich in nutrients like folate, iron, vitamin B, vitamin A, and copper. These nutrients are in their natural form, rather than added in the nutrient supplement. Not all fresh food brands do this. Ollie Dog Food is one alternative that also includes as many nutrients in their natural form as possible. You can learn more about this in our Ollie vs Just Food For Dogs comparison.
- Evidence-based research: Just Food For Dogs is the only fresh food company, and one of just a few pet food companies overall, to conduct independent feeding trials on all daily canine recipes. The data shows that not only were the recipes beneficial for long-term feeding, but they also promoted healthy functioning of the immune system in dogs.
There are also a few areas that we feel Just Food For Dogs could do better:
- Food sourcing: Other brands are more transparent about where their meat and produce is sourced. Open Farm, for example, partners with Certified Humane and the Global Animal Partnership to ensure that the animals used for food are treated humanely throughout their life. Open Farm also only uses local, non-GMO produce and sustainably-caught ocean fish. A Pup Above also uses non-GMO produce, but they also reduce food waste by using Ugly Produce—fruits and vegetables that are just as nutritious, but would have been thrown out because they look a bit wonky.
- Food prep method: Just Food For Dogs cooks their food the same way most fresh food companies do. But A Pup Above cooks their food sous vide (i.e. gently cooked in a sealed bag), which locks in nutrition, juices and flavor.
- Moderate protein levels: Just Food For Dogs’ protein levels range from 7% to 11%, which is an average range for fresh food. If you need a higher protein level for a puppy or very active, energetic dog, chick out Raised Right Dog Food or A Pup Above, which offer roughly double the protein content.
- No tailored portion size: Some brands, such as Nom Nom, package their fresh food by how much food your dog requires per meal or per day. Just Food For Dogs does not do this. There is a standard amount of food per package, and the brand will tell you roughly how much food your dog needs per day if you complete the Feeding Calculator. This may be slightly less convenient at meal time, but it doesn’t bother us too much since you’ll quickly get familiar with how much food your dog needs. You can learn more in our comparison of Nom Nom vs Just Food For Dogs.
>> Read more: A Pup Above vs Farmer’s Dog
Frequently Asked Questions
Have there been any recalls?
On January 22, 2018, Just Food For Dogs voluntarily recalled their Beef & Russet Potato, Fish & Sweet Potato, and Turducken dog food meals due to the potential that the green beans may have been contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The FDA has since completed this recall. Learn more: Just Food For Dogs Recall.
Is Just Food For Dogs good for puppies?
Just Food For Dogs has created two fresh food recipes that contain the necessary levels of calcium and phosphorus that a growing puppy requires: Chicken & White Rice or Fish & Sweet Potato. You’ll want to feed your puppy one of these two recipes until they hit their adult size. The other recipes are great for adult maintenance, and a few are good for senior dogs. All the treat options are ideal for dogs of all ages.
To get an accurate estimate for daily feeding amounts, you can check out their guide to how to feed Just Food for Dogs to puppies.
Where can I buy Just Food for Dogs?
The easiest place to purchase Just Food For Dogs is on their website. They’ll deliver the food frozen to your door, and if you subscribe, you’ll get discounts and free shipping.
However, one benefit of Just Food for Dogs is that you can also pick it up in participating stores. You can purchase or pick up at their brick-and-mortar store locations in California, inside participating veterinary clinics and hospitals, Pet Food Express locations in California, and Petco locations nationwide. Just select the “Free Local Pickup” option when ordering online.
At this time, you are not able to schedule an Autoship order for local pickup, but they are working to change that.
Other Just Food For Dogs reviews
Faith (verified buyer)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5 stars)
WHAT A DIFFERENCE
My Lily has a VERY sensitive tummy and had been having abnormal stools(hard to pick up)for owner two months. Our Vet tested her for everything and all test results came back normal! We switched her to JFFD chicken and rice recipe and within three days, she was back to normal stools! We are thrilled! We even switched to JFFD chicken treats. This food has made such a difference for our Lily! I was skeptical because we were cooking her chicken and rice at home and it still wasn’t helping! JFFD has been a life changer and we are so grateful! Thank you!!
Kritine U. (verified buyer)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5 stars)
Everything about this place is excellent. The quality of the food, and the customer service. From start to finish, JFFD takes care of its customers and their furry friends.
Jenny B. (verified buyer)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5 stars)
Great food, reliable delivery
We switched to Just Food for Dogs (chicken and white rice) after having some trouble finding a new food that worked for our pup (after switching from a grain free diet). The change was almost instantaneous. She loves the foods and her coat improved visibly in about one week. I was worried about the hassle of delivery and keeping the food frozen/refrigerated but we have gotten used to it. Very happy with the brand and so glad we found something that keeps our pup happy and healthy 😊