The Dog Tale is reader-supported. We may earn a commission if you buy something through our site; this doesn’t change our recommendations.
VERDICT (if you’re in a hurry): We love it—and so did our dog! And Nom Nom makes it easy to try out by offering 50% off your first order. Just click the button below or keep reading for our full review.
In this review
- Nom Nom Dog & Cat Food: At a glance
- Nom Nom unboxing video
- Our Nom Nom review
- How does Nom Nom work?
- Recipe options
- Nom Nom Now prices
- Gut health products
- Has NomNomNow Ever Been Recalled?
- Other Nom Nom reviews
Nom Nom Dog & Cat Food: At a glance
- Sustainable: Food sourced from mostly sustainable suppliers and a zero-waste policy in their facilities. The packaging is fully recyclable.
- Fresh ingredients: Nutritious ingredients are sourced from U.S. farms and prepared in Nom Nom’s kitchens, where they’re slow-cooked, packaged, and shipped to your doorstep. Your pet never gets food that’s been sitting on a shelf or in a can for months.
- Nutritious: All Nom Nom products meet or exceed the AAFCO’s Dog and Cat Food Nutrient Profiles. Additionally, Nom Nom designs its recipes in consultation with Dr. Justin Shmalberg, a board-certified specialist in veterinary nutrition.
- Variety: Nom Nom offers variety packs including four different recipes made with whole-food proteins and vegetables. Other companies require you to choose one meal plan. Nom Nom also offers other single-ingredient treats and gut-health supplements.
- Flexible subscriptions: Users can opt for a once-per-week, twice-per-week, or once-per-month subscription. This means you’ll never run out of food, and you’ll never need to make a run to the pet food store.
- Customized portions: Nom Nom bases your pet’s portions on information about your pet. Meals are packaged individually, so you don’t even have to think about it. Just open the pouch, pour it into a bowl, and let your pet enjoy.
- Supports animals: 1% of Nom Nom’s revenue goes to pet nutrition research.
Nom Nom unboxing video
Our Nom Nom review
What if we told you that most pet food is sort of like feeding your dog a permanent diet of fast food? The dry dog kibble your family fed Fido when you were a kid was over-processed and full of unnecessary and occasionally toxic additives.
Nom Nom—recently rebranded from Nom Nom Now—is a pet food delivery service aiming to change the way we feed our dogs and cats. But do they succeed? We tried it out with our pup to find out. This unboxing review will look at every aspect of the company, from its ingredients and recipes to its pricing structure, shipping plans, and results, so you can decide if Nom Nom is right for your pet.
Nom Nom takes nutrition seriously
Nom Nom’s mission is to give your dog or cat a fresh diet of real food–human-grade, restaurant-quality ingredients packed with the nutrition your pet needs. They design nutrient-focused recipes with Dr. Justin Shmalberg, a board-certified specialist and leading expert in veterinary nutrition.
With Dr. Shmalberg’s input, Nom Nom’s recipes deliver the precise nutrients and calorie count your pet needs. A balance of fats, proteins, and carbs helps keep your pet energetic, healthy, and happy. And real ingredients like whole meats, visible vegetables, and fish oil supply these nutrients in a natural way.
Nom Nom sources its foods from U.S. farmers and providers. They also use sustainable ingredients wherever possible and employ zero-waste practices at their facilities.
All food is prepared fresh in Nom Nom’s Nashville or San Francisco-based kitchens, with gentle cooking to maintain nutritional value. (Traditional dry dog foods are overcooked at high temperatures to dehydrate the food and increase its shelf life.)
Once your meal is ordered and cooked, it will ship within days in insulated thermal boxes. The packaging is all recyclable or made from recycled materials, and shipping is free. You can choose whether to receive your box every week, every two weeks or every four weeks.
Nom Nom dog food offers four different recipe options. You can choose one, rotate your options, or order a variety pack of all four.
- Beef Mash: beef, potatoes, eggs, carrots, peas, fish oil
- Chicken Cuisine: chicken, sweet potatoes, yellow squash, spinach, fish oil
- Pork Potluck: pork, potatoes, green beans, yellow squash, mushrooms, kale, fish oil
- Turkey Fare: turkey, eggs, brown rice, carrots, spinach, fish oil
See full ingredient lists, calorie count, and guaranteed nutrient analysis lower in this review
If your pet has any dietary or health concerns, NomNom will recommend supplementary products to help, such as their dog probiotics for gut health. These products can be added to your subscription or ordered as a single purchase.
What we like
- It’s Hobbes approved: First and foremost, Hobbes loves it! To be fair, he loves pretty much anything he can get his little puppy teeth on, but he truly seemed to relish Nom Nom. He usually inhales his food and moves on, but once we started serving him Nom Nom, he’d stick around and lick every inch of the bowl clean.
- You can see the ingredients: You can actually see whole foods, like green beans, sweet potato, and carrot, instead of an over-processed mash or kibbles that all look the same. Nom Nom’s healthy, fresh ingredients are specifically designed to give your pet the balanced nutrients she needs, which will help your pet maintain their health over the long term.
- It’s all sustainable: Nom Nom prioritizes a sustainable model with local sourcing, zero-waste facilities, and recyclable packaging.
- Your plan is flexible: Recipes and subscription timing are customizable to your pet’s specific needs.
- There are additional products: You can also get healthy, single-ingredient treats and probiotic supplements designed to target your pet’s specific health issues. Hobbes loved both the chicken and beef jerky, and we love that they each contain only one ingredient. And the probiotic helped balance his gut during a bout of diarrhea. Nom Nom also offers a microbiome test so you can gauge your dog’s or cat’s gut health at home. Other dog food delivery services don’t offer these options.
- Meals are already pre-portioned. Some other food companies require you to measure out each meal, which gives Nom Nom an edge in terms of convenience. You just pull the packet out of the fridge, peel it open, and put it in the dog bowl. We also love that you never have to worry about restocking.
- Bonus benefit: it doesn’t stink! I hate the smell of dog food, but Nom Nom smells just like a meal I would eat—because it is!
What we’d change
- More variety for cats: The products are of high quality but could have more variety. Dogs have four recipe options to choose from, but nothing based on fish proteins. However, we do like that you can choose a rotating meal plan. Cats are limited to one chicken-based recipe.
- It’s pricey: For some, the price tag may be too high. To be clear, this is a premium option. However, paying a bit more per week for far healthier food may help reduce veterinary costs down the line. And in the meantime, your pet will be happy and healthy.
How does Nom Nom work?
Nom Nom is a subscription service that delivers weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly food deliveries. You can sign up for a sample pack of all four meals without the subscription if you want a trial without the commitment.
The sign-up process is super easy, and Nom Nom guides you through it step-by-step.
Step 1: Start a trial
To get started, you can sign up for a two-week trial. Nom Nom always offers a discount on your first box, but the amount varies. You can click here to get their biggest discount—50% off your first order.
Step 2: About your pet
Prompts will guide you through a few questions about your pet to help Nom Nom make customized recommendations.
For example, is your pet a dog or a cat? What’s their name, sex, and breed?
What is your pet’s current age, body condition, weight, and target weight?
Does your dog have any dietary or health issues?
Step 3: Meal recommendations & selection
Based on the information you provided in Step 2, Nom Nom will make a recommendation on the best food options for your dog. You can choose one recipe or two to rotate.
Do you want healthy treats? You can save 25% if you add them at this stage. Add them to your regular subscription, make a one-off purchase, or skip them altogether.
You can choose full or half portions. Half portions are ideal if you want to mix it in with your dog’s current food, either to save money or to ease them into their new diet gradually.
Step 4: Your Information
Finally, you need to provide your name, email, mailing address, and credit card information.
On the final screen, you will be shown the total cost of your first box, with 20 to 50% off your first order (get 50% off here) and free shipping. After your trial period, the price will be weekly based on your pet’s size, age, and needs. You can opt to pay monthly as well.
Step 5: Delivery
Fresh meals are prepared within days of shipping and arrive in insulated thermal packaging. They’re stored under dry ice packs and will remain cold throughout the day, so it’s okay if you’re not home when it arrives.
Each meal is pre-proportioned for your specific pet’s age, size, and health needs. Receiving fresh, pre-portioned food packs saves you time and helps you keep your pet healthy. Based on your dog’s current and ideal body weight, Nom Nom will automatically adjust your dog’s portion sizes and calorie count over time. This is super useful if you’ve got a growing puppy, like Hobbes, or if you’re trying to get your dog to a target weight.
If you choose a larger box or plan to go through the Nom Nom meals more slowly, you can keep whatever meals you don’t plan to use right away in the freezer. Unfrozen food should be kept in the fridge, and will remain fresh for 3 to 4 days. They will stay good in the freezer for up to 6 months.
All recipes are created in partnership with leading nutritionist Dr. Justin Shmalberg per AAFCO standards.
Fresh dog food
You can choose any one of these recipes or two to rotate, or you can select a variety pack to allow your pet to try all four.
- Crude Protein: 10% min
- Crude Fat: 5% min
- Crude Fiber: 1% max
- Moisture: 73% max
Calories per kilogram
- 1,239 (KCAL/KG)
Ground beef, russet potatoes, eggs, carrots, peas, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, fish oil, sunflower oil, vinegar, citric acid (preservative), taurine, choline bitartrate, zinc gluconate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper gluconate, manganese gluconate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), selenium yeast, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), potassium iodide
- Crude Protein: 8.5% min
- Crude Fat: 6% min
- Crude Fiber: 1% max
- Moisture: 77% max
Calories per kilogram
- 1,255 (KCAL/KG)
Diced chicken, sweet potatoes, yellow squash, spinach, sunflower oil, canola oil, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, fish oil, vinegar, citric acid, taurine, choline bitartrate, zinc gluconate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper gluconate, manganese gluconate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), selenium yeast, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), potassium iodide.
- Crude Protein: 8% min
- Crude Fat: 5% min
- Crude Fiber: 2% max
- Moisture: 75% max
Calories per kilogram
- 1,246 (KCAL/KG)
Ground pork, russet potatoes, green beans, yellow squash, kale, brown mushrooms, dicalcium phosphate, salt, fish oil, vinegar, citric acid, taurine, choline bitartrate, zinc gluconate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper gluconate, manganese gluconate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), selenium yeast, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), potassium iodide.
- Crude Protein: 11% min
- Crude Fat: 5% min
- Crude Fiber: 1% max
- Moisture: 70% max
Calories per kilogram
- 1,479 (KCAL/KG)
Ground turkey, brown rice, eggs, carrots, spinach, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, fish oil, vinegar, citric acid, taurine, choline bitartrate, zinc gluconate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper gluconate, manganese gluconate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), selenium yeast, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), potassium iodide.
Is Nom Nom dog food cooked or raw?
All of Nom Nom’s food is gently cooked over a low heat to preserve the bioavailability of nutrients.
Fresh cat food
- Crude Protein: 18% min
- Crude Fat: 4% min
- Crude Fiber: 0.8% max
- Moisture: 73% max
Calories per kilogram
- 1,194 (KCAL/KG)
Chicken, chicken liver, carrots, spinach, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, taurine, choline bitartrate, zinc gluconate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper gluconate, manganese gluconate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), selenium yeast, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), potassium iodide.
Made with just one ingredient—100% USDA-certified, restaurant-grade, top sirloin beef. High in protein and free from any preservatives.
Made with just one ingredient—100% USDA-certified, restaurant-grade, chicken breast. No additives or preservatives.
Nom Nom Now prices
As I’m sure you’ve guessed, Nom Nom prices are higher than those big bags of kibble you can get at the supermarket. That’s because it’s real, fresh food.
Nom Nom’s pricing structure follows your pet’s size, age, and weight, so it’s cheaper for small dogs and cats than large dog breeds. A subscription for a dog under 10 pounds costs around $3 per day or $21 per week. At the high end of the price range, a subscription for a large dog breed could cost $10 per day or $70 per week. Most prices will fall in between those two figures.
We tried out pricing for our friend’s Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Prince Harry. Prince Harry is a medium-sized dog weighing 30 pounds and without significant health concerns. See his personalized plan below:
After his first two weeks of food end, Prince Harry’s subscription will cost $40.99 per week, which is a little under $6 per day.
Considering the sliding price scale, Nom Nom may be the best option for health-conscious owners with small pets.
You can get a quote for your unique pet without any commitments on the website and before filling out your credit card information.
Is Nom Nom worth it?
Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide how you want to balance cost and quality. Nom Nom is probably worth the price for those looking for a substantially better nutritional option than you can find in most pet stores.
While it is more expensive up-front, it could save you on vet bills down the road since your pet will be getting the balanced nutrients they need from real, whole foods. Nom Nom could also make a big difference for dogs with food sensitivities or picky tastes.
Fortunately, Nom Nom makes it easy to introduce fresh foods into your pet’s diet without going all-in. If money is tight, try ordering Nom Nom’s half-portion meal plan and mixing it 50-50 with your pet’s current food. This will still substantially improve their diet while costing you about half as much.
>> Read more: How Much Does NomNomNow Cost?
Gut health products
In addition to gut-healthy meals, Nom Nom offers microbiome kits to help pet owners determine their pet’s overall gut health. They also offer supplements to support your pet’s unique health concerns.
Nom Nom’s microbiome kit will help you understand your pet’s gut health more thoroughly. Gut microbiomes are the tiny bacteria that make up your pet’s basic metabolism and gastrointestinal functions. They also help protect your pet against pathogens and foodborne illnesses and sensitivities.
Gut health is critical to our overall health and can affect mood, digestion, and the immune system. In animals, gut health affects picky eaters, energy levels, food allergies, and even itchy skin!
Identifying issues with your pet’s microbiome can help you identify the cause of health issues like weight fluctuations, diarrhea, vomiting, constant itching, or behavior problems.
The kit is simple to use and will deliver results in 3 to 6 weeks. Here’s how it works:
- Order the kit
- Once the kit arrives, register your pet on NomNomNow.com
- Collect a sample from your pet’s stool using the swabs and vials in the kit
- Mail your sample in the pre-paid envelope
- Get your report in 3-6 weeks. The report includes data, analysis, and recommendations tailored to your pet
Nom Nom offers three different supplements to help with various nutritional issues.
- Full Spectrum Probiotics for Dogs: This supplement helps maintain and support your dog’s digestive and immune system—best for dogs without any serious gut complaints. This is the one we got for Hobbes. We just mix it in with his lunch and he chows it right down.
- GI Targeted Probiotics for Dogs: This supplement supports dogs with chronic stomach issues like upset stomach or diarrhea. If you have a picky eater or a pup with stomach complaints, this supplement may be a helpful addition to their diet.
- Full Spectrum Probiotics for Cats: This supplement, like the Full Spectrum for Dogs, helps maintain and support your cat’s digestive and immune system. It can help improve metabolism and nutrient absorption.
Has NomNomNow ever been recalled?
No, there has never been a NomNomNow recall. Both Nom Nom dog food and Nom Nom cat food continue to receive excellent reviews by veterinary nutritionists and pet owners alike.
Other Nom Nom Now Reviews
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5 stars)
“I love NomNomNow for my cats and dogs. Before I had to go to the cat aisle and the dog aisle and buy a bunch of bags of food. Now everything is pre-portioned based on their profile and delivered straight to my door. The customer service takes great care of us and I recommend this to my family and friends.”
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (5 stars)
“My dog AND cat like the food much better than other delivery services I tried. I love the customer service and the individualized portions that are are customized for each pet. They are also really involved with Rescues which is really important to me.”
How does Nom Nom compare to other dog food subscription companies?
There are a few other dog food delivery services on the market that are worth considering, and they all do a good job.
At a glance, Ollie offers more treat options (beef, chicken, sweet potato, and turkey strips), as well as a lamb recipe in lieu of Nom Nom’s pork option. But it doesn’t offer any cat food or microbiome products. You can learn more in our Ollie Dog Food review or our Nom Nom vs Ollie comparison guide.
Like Ollie, PetPlate also offers lamb instead of pork, but it only offers one type of treat—organic chicken apple sausage bites. You can learn more in our PetPlate review.
The Farmer’s Dog is another worthy competitor. While it doesn’t offer any treats or additional products, the company does boast more sustainable packaging and delivery options. You can learn more in our Nom Nom vs Farmer’s Dog comparison or our full The Farmer’s Dog review.
Spot and Tango came out a little more expensive than Nom Nom, when we ran some tests, but it does offer treats and an interesting dry-food kibble alternative. You can learn more in our Spot and Tango vs Nom Nom Now comparison guide or our full Spot and Tango review.
A Pup Above is another environmentally conscious option. The brand offers high-quality, human-grade meals formed into standardized pucks. Instead of receiving individual meal packs, you’ll get one to three bags of meal pucks per shipment, which helps cut down on packaging waste.
Your dog would be lucky to have any of these foods. But in my opinion, Nom Nom is one of the most interesting brands on the market because of the extra work they’re doing to promote pet gut health, and because their fresh ingredients are the most visually apparent when you look at the foods side-by-side.
>> Read more: The Farmer’s Cat: Does The Farmer’s Dog Make Cat Food?